Ostomy Support Belts
Ostomy patients, whether with a colostomy, ileostomy or a urostomy, are prone to Parastomal Hernias and Incisional Hernias. Ostomy Support Belts, or Ostomy Hernia Belts, are designed to accommodate all activities and lifestyles, and constitute the best solution for the non-surgical management of both parastomal and incisional hernias. Wearing an ostomy support belt daily and nightly is a good precautionary measure and should be a must. The lack of adequate coaching is the only way to explain the insufficient use of ostomy support belts currently detected throughout the ostomy community. The benefits are too big to ignore and given the different textures, styles, and sizes now available, wearing one should not be a daunting task.
Ostomy Support Belts Benefits:
- Reduces chances of parastomal and incisional hernias by inhibiting formation of a “hernia defect”.
- Constrains growth of parastomal and incisional hernias by constantly pressuring against the “hernia defect”.
- Preserves parastomal and incisional hernias from recurrence after surgical repair by delivering extra wound support.
- Provides extra confidence by securing the ostomy bag in place.
- Releases tension from the stoma by holding the ostomy bag.
- Diminishes peristomal skin rashes by limiting ostomy bag dragging.
- Extends added comfort while resting by minimizing output movement inside the ostomy bag.
- Enables ostomy patients to undertake a more active lifestyle by improving their overall condition (the before-and-after the hernia belt effect is noticeable).
Desired Attributes of Ostomy Support Belts:
- Comfortable, not tight and made of texture commensurate with use.
- Adaptable to body contour.
- Numerous hole diameters for optimal fit around the ostomy bag.
- Multiple hole placements (left-center-right).
- Extended girth or circumference around the waist.
- Adequate belt width (vertical measurement).
- Flexible to allow body movements and expandable as the ostomy bag fills with output.
- Able to support ostomy bag and if applicable, a prolapsed stoma.
- Conformable to all physical activities.
Getting an Ostomy Support Belt:
Finding an ostomy support belt to suit your specific needs can be confusing at first. If you need help, we can provide all the support needed (just call us or fill-out the contact form and we will be glad to guide you). Stoma Bags carries a diverse array of ostomy support belts, enabling the management of parastomal and incisional hernias at all stages, of all magnitudes, and at affordable prices.